Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Do Something Different

If you're anything like me, you might find your life falling apart on a monthly, lately for me, daily, basis. In this inspiring book The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart by Daphne Rose Kingma, you have to be ready to hear it. It's simple, makes sense, but not always easy to incorporate. The first step, Cry Your Heart Out... EASY!!  With both my parents deceased (gosh that's a sucky word), my dad only recently, I've pretty much found myself doing this with ease. However, it was simple to get into a habit of feeling sorry for myself..... Enter stage two, Face Your Defaults. That one's self-explanatory. By no means, easy, but you get it. 

The purpose of this first post and what got me to even start this darn blog (finally!) is the third, Do Something Different.

"Different circumstances call on us to be different. To grow or die.... When circumstances are altered, we must alter our responses to them. There's a purpose to the crisis you're in and part of its purpose is that, through it, in a very profound way, the cosmos is inviting you to have a different experience of life and of yourself."

I hung out in status quo for quite some time. Through my 20's and now the start of the 30's. But status quo isn't cutting anymore. I've never been afraid to take the leap, to be the first, to be alone or to try something new. But, the last 8 months, the only thing getting my butt off the couch was a cold beer, a promise of a fun, yet blackout night, or worse. It's embarrassing to even admit. Shame on me. This is new to me. I'm taking on the benefit of this crisis and stepping out of my comfort zone. 

As Kingma suggests, you must "practice, practice, practice," doing something different. It's as easy as smiling at people you see, complimenting others, dancing down the street, learning something new. As an activity: define your crisis, it's purpose, what steps you're going to take and what mantra you will use through it. 

For me, it's learning to be happy without regret and guilt. This crisis' purpose is to get me to share myself, to find, give and believe in unconditional love (other than from my parents), and to grow from the inside. The steps I'm taking are many...and small... 1) blog about everything and anything, just keep writing 2) start yoga again 3) make it to work every day 3) show up when I say I will 4) no TV on Monday and Wednesday 5) Get people to follow my blog.....there's more, but that's a fair start. 
My mantra... Go Team SeeKarynRun!

-This blog has many purposes, I only hope you find it amusing, entertaining, helpful... whatever. I appreciate you reading it. I'm off to yoga so stay tuned for an in-depth review of Bikram Yoga, Petaluma :)


5 comments:

  1. yeah girl, you are an inspiration. i love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I'm so sorry for your loss and these months of trial you've had to go through. I love what you've written here, your attitude, and your determination to change and move forward. Yay, you! I heard a quote just this weekend: "We can start where we are today, no matter where we were yesterday and we can change." Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, I'm so proud of you, I'm so deePly honored to share this life with you. Through the years some serious shit has happened to us and look at how you gracefully heal...I love your blog and can't wait to read the book. You are one of the finest women I know and am Blessed to learn from...you have no idea what an inspiration u are to me. Good luck with your blog...and I will chat with u soon can't wait to b poolside :)

    ReplyDelete